Monday, February 15, 2016

Jacob 6 Sticks, ¡Ratón!

Hello people!

There is a scripture found in the Book of Mormon, in the book of the
prophet Jacob, chapter 6, verse 12 and it reads:

"O be wise; what can I say more?"

I needed to follow that advice this past week. I wasn't being very
wise and I ended up spraining my ankle pretty bad so I got crutches. I
call them my "Jacob 6 sticks." It reminds me not to be stupid.

So I guess I won't be stupid.

In life, we all have to learn things. That's just a given. A Father in
Heaven who loves us so much wants us to learn. He wants us to learn
how to grow and become better people. And so He puts us through
trials. Yeah, sometimes, they come from results of some unsmart thing
that we did, but other times they come from actions of others, but
sometimes, things that we don't like just happen! And it tries our
patience and it can make us mad, frustrated, and be not a very nice
person to be around. But does our Father in Heaven want us to be mad,
angry, and frustrated? No! Of course not. He wants us to be happy. But
we have to know the bad to know the good. I want to share one of my
favorite scriptures with you from the Book of Mormon. This is a dad
talking to his son. He says:

"11 For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things.
If not so, my firstborn in the wilderness, righteousness could not be
brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery,
neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound
in one; wherefore, if it should be one body it must needs remain as
dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption,
happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility."

We have to no the bad to know the good. So no matter how hard your
life is now, know that there's always something better waiting ahead
of the road.

Awesome. Spiritual Thoughts are the best. Now for some stories.

Right now we're teaching this couple, Mary and Thomas. Aw, I love
these two. But this live in this trailer park and it's a pretty nice
trailer. Anyways, we're just having some small talk before we start
our lesson and all of a sudden, Elder Carmons eyes get huge and he
just points to this random spot on the ground and yells: "¡Ratón!" (I
hope I don't have to translate that for you (rat) too bad I did
anyways) So of course we all look to this spot of ground and...
Nothing. Just the floor. So we start laughing and tell him he's crazy.
Then about a minute later, he yells: "Ratón!" And again points this
bear spot of ground. "Where's a knife?" he asks.

"Why?" Thomas asked.
"So when that rat comes out again I can throw the knife and kill it."

We all think that he's playing again so Thomas got him a knife. And
sure enough, three minutes later: "Ratón!" But this time both Elder
Carmon and Mary yelled it. Hmm, maybe he isn't crazy.

 This rat is killing our lesson.

They both point to this spot of ground behind the couch and say that
it ran back behind the couch. So I'm looking at it, still thinking
that he's crazy when all of a sudden, this Tiny little mouse runs out
of it then dashes back. This thing was so small. Like maybe the size
of your grandmas pinky. But, a Mexican lady cannot have a mouse in her
house. And neither can Elder Carmon. So we start going on this rat
hunt, trying to kill this thing.

Thomas finally saw it and then started believing us. The rat was
behind the couch, somewhere. So we flip it up and see that this couch
has one of those pull out beds. So that's probably where it's hiding.
So Thomas gets this great idea: he'll stand at the front of the couch,
take off the coushins and shake the bed and Elder Carmon and I will
stand on either side of it, ready to kill the rat. That sounds like a
great idea! So I stand on one side ready to drop a board on this thing
and Elder Carmon is on the other side with his knife ready "to kill
this rat. I'm gonna kill it." He was pretty determined.

So Thomas starts shaking the bed and nothing's happening when all of a
sudden I hear this high pitched screech come from the other side of
the room as I see Elder Carmon jump back and scream and point at the
ground: "Ratón!" As the rat runs last him and into another room. Haha
he just let the rat run past him. Thomas takes the knife and goes into
the room with determination as I grab my camera. The rat runs up the
curtains and Thomas cuts at it and the rat falls down. And this point,
Thomas screams a manly scream, Mary screams a woman scream, and Elder
Carmon screams a high pitched girly scream. It was like listening to
octaves on a piano.

Well, long story short, we never got the rat. It got away.

But moral of the story: if you're gonna act tough like you're not
scared of rats but you are, then just don't.

I love you all and I hope that you have a great week!

--Elder Pearson

1. A Personal Goal Elder Carmon gave me
2. The "Rat Slayer"
3. The moment of the octave screams
4. The stupid things I have to do to heal myself from the stupid stuff
I did (that's a bucket of ice water)





No comments:

Post a Comment