Monday, February 22, 2016

Hispanic Food, Miracles


Hello my people from wherever!

You'd think that being out for almost six months, that I'd be used to
hot, spicy, Mexican food. You'd be dead wrong. And so was I.

We had a dinner with this Mexican family and they made us Sopes. Super
good Mexican food. I loved it and it wasn't very spicy, so double
delicious. And then we had some fruit to finish it all of. But WAIT.
Fruit is too boring, so what's the obvious thing to do? Obviously you
should make some sort of special pepper to ruin Gods glorious creation
of the melon. Well, I decided to try some of this evil creation on a
melon. I had too. Bad idea. The first bite was so good. The juicy
melon just exploded into my mouth, kinda lie when you eat a strawberry
starburst. Then I decided to do the natural thing of swallowing.
That's where it became dangerous. As so as the fruit hit the top part
of my asophogas, my throat, scorching flames. And then these flames
left a trial all the way down my throat. I was literally crying. I
don't know why somebody would come up with a creation such as this.
The lady that made us food, Modesta, told me: "You'll remember this
when you're on the toilet." No comment.

But on a different note, we had some amazing lessons this week with
our Peruvian Sheep Herder friends, Orlando, Eduardo, Ubaldo, and
Miguel. In our last lesson, we invited them to pray about baptism and
if it was the right thing to do. Orlando and Eduardo both did. And
they both received answers of "yes." Both of them had very special and
personal experiences that helped them to grow a testimony of the truth
of these things. It was so great as they shared what they felt: "an
energy" was one way that they described it. These are good men and I
love them a lot. We taught them the Word of Wisdom and they had some
things with it that they need to work on that will be hard for them,
but Orlando said: "This will be hard, but I want to be a disciple of
Jesus Christ and so I will learn this and live it." And ohhhh man, it
sounded so cool in Spanish! These brothers are good brothers and they
are along this path, the right one, straight and narrow and it is a
blessing to be able to be a part of it.

I read this scripture the other day and I really liked this wording:
"And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed
and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God." (Mosiah
2:41) I added the italics. You don't see that word: happy, very often
in the scriptures. Usually it's joy or something like that. But it's
true, as we keep the commandments and serve and love one another,
that's what you become: happy. And it's the best.

Love you all,

--Elder Pearson

1. The Demon Pepper fruit
2. I love the mountains. Pronounced: MOUNT-TAINS. Not, moun-nins.
3. Llama farm! We got corrected. They're actually Alpacas




No comments:

Post a Comment